Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Interacting w/Services Model Updated (a start on EDA & event-driven SOA)

Frank - some comments inline - Ken

On Mar 24, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Francis McCabe wrote:

Ken:
 I think that the way to think of this is that a message exchange is one level of a joint action - it requires two (or more) participants. Each participant performs operations needed to support its participation (sending a message, receiving the message).

Then is there an action that is not a joint action?

 A long time ago, Tony Hoare talked about *synchronization* being the most primitive of constructs needed for distributed computing. This is similar in spirit to the joint action.
 Your dictionary definition of denote is on the mark here. In our message oriented architecture, we use messages to denote actions and to denote events.

I'm not comfortable with this.  The message doesn't *indicate* an action but rather it passes information that I may expect results in that action.  Now I could say a message denotes and event because I could say the message indicates the event has occurred.  But again, this emphasizes the difference between a message relation to an action and a message relation to an event.

 Herbert Clark talks about ladders of action; paraphrasing we would get:
Level 1: exchanging a well formed bag of bits;
Level 2: the message is about an action
Level 3: the action is one that is supposed to be performed by one of the partners
Level 4: some service is being requested by one participant of another
 He also talks about upward cause and downward evidence:
Level 4: the desired RWE is observed, which means that
Level 3: the action was appropriately requested, which means that
Level 2: the message was about an action, which means that
Level 1: the bag of bits was correctly formed.

Message exchange takes place at Level 1 here.

No problem here:

participant 1 --- level 4 --- level 3 --- level 2 --- level 1 ===wire=== level 1 --- level 2 --- level 3 --- level 4 --- participant 2

However, I'm not sure this level of detail is appropriate for the RA.

A similar train of thinking can explain how messages figure in events, and how events figure in observing RWE.

Frank