Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] A general comment on the SOA RA

It's taken me a while to figure what it is about this discussion that
disturbs me, but I finally got there: Why would we (or anyone) be
doing this if we didn't understand implicitly that it was about
conducting business?

Perhaps we should be explicit about it up front once, but I don't
think we need to be reminded about it, and with all the concerns we
need to cover, I'm not in favor of spending more words on it to
remind the reader. I don't think our audience needs it.

What is the difference between Service Description and Service
Definition? We defined Service in the RM. If we're gonna spend time
on these differences, we'll have to make some reference to that
distinction any time we use either term.  If we're spend time on
these differences, we'll have to make some reference to the
distinction any time we use either term.

The details of Service Implementation are, I thought, out of scope
except as we describe what is needed for implementation. For
instance, we'll say that a rights language is needed, but we don't
say that this or that language from this or that organization should
be used.

I get really uncomfortable when it comes to any kind of specific
alignment with BMM for instance. I'm assuming you mean OMG Business
Motivation Model? I use the MDA and we use UML, but I don't think we
need everything in their arsenal.

I don't think its wrong to consider all this, but I'd need more
important reasons to change our approach at this point. We spent a
lost of effort settling on Views and Viewpoints, and I still think
its best for the level of abstraction we are working.

--
Rex Brooks
President, CEO