Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Diagramming trust - another take

Ken:

I opened the first diagram and was immediately confused.  When I "own" a
house I have neither goals or constraints (other than paying the taxes
on the place) so how does the diagram define the boundary of my house?

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 12:06 AM
To: James Odell
Cc: David E. Ellis; Francis McCabe; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [soa-rm-ra] Diagramming trust - another take

After another long talk with Dave Ellis, I am again inspired to try to
express some ideas, and this time I come with definitions and diagrams.

Goal: a desired set of real world effects

Goal may be that the real world effects are realized, avoided, or some
combination.

Constraint: a specified set of real world effects that an actor is
   (1) limited from pursuing or being responsible for indirectly
causing, or
   (2) responsible for pursuing

Ownership Boundary: the extent of an identifiable set of actors sharing
a common set of goals and constraints, and other common entities through
which the goals and constraints can be expressed.

A given actor may reside within one or more ownership boundaries.
There may be agreed upon protocols for interactions that cross ownership
boundaries or an actor crossing an ownership boundary may independently
need to resolve any mismatches.

Reputation: a property of a given actor assigned by other actors based
on the accumulated experience experience of the other actors on the
extent to which real world effects resulting from interaction with the
given actor are assessed as desirable, neutral, or undesirable.

Other definitions are needed but I was concentrating on the diagrams
that follow.