Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] A general comment on the SOA RA

Jeff, I looked quickly through the previous version and did not find two
much changes, compared to the current one. Yes you renamed the
viewpoint, but it even in the previous version, the word business was
there as just a name. The content was very similar to what it is now:

"View focuses on what a SOA-based system means for people using it to
conduct their business.9 The mode of business in a SOA-based system is
characterized in terms of providing services and consuming services to
realize mutually desirable real world effects."
The word real world effect is vague enough to mean anything. Besides,
and here is a kicker, service invocation does not really have to create
a real world effect to be useful. Here is an example of using Turbotax
service online (very appropriate timing wise). When you use this
services you submit your financial documents and receive back the amount
of tax that you owe or government owes to you. This is quite useful
service, but a pure calculational one. It does not change anything in
the world - just massage numbers. One can of course, say that returning
back a tax amount is a real world effect, but is it really? And there is
quite a few services like that, for example, calculating insurance
quote. On another hand, if I am using a banking service to do money
transfer, this one has a true real world effect - amounts are changing
in my accounts. But I consider all of these service useful services.
Now let's take a notorious example of temperature converter. From the
outside it seems like a valid service, but in reality you will rarely (I
think never) use this service in your SOA implementation. The reason is
twofold:
- I would be hard pressed to consider this one a useful business
service;
- The granularity of this one is so low, it does not make sense.
So if I am developing SOA I need to know:
-what constitutes a good service?
-how do I ensure that my services are aligned and supporting my
business?
-how do I decide, which services makes sense for my business?
-Do I grow my services organically - bottom up or do I try to develop
overall enterprise model - top down.

I think that in order for RA to be successful this considerations should
be part of the document, even if they are just asked, not necessary
answered. There is plenty of sources concentrating on this issues.