Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] RE: Willingness based on Trust discussion

On May 13, 2009, at 4:22 AM, mpoulin@usa.com wrote:

> I have just three notes but prefer not using this computer for file
> detachmentSorry for the inconvenience. So, here they are:
>
> 1) in the section Background: From SOA-RM:  The initiator in a
> service interaction MUST be aware of the other parties  I think
> there should be party because there are only two participants in
> each individual interaction. If we also consider a broadcast-like
> interaction, awareness about other parties is OPTIONAL, not MUST.

The intent here is at some point one participant needs to be aware of
the other to initiate the interaction.  How that awareness is
accomplished is not specified.

> 2) in the section Inputs for SOA-RA:  Although the objective of any
> SOA interaction is no Risk  I think that this is not necessary
> correct; I have never heard about such objective as no Risk, it does
> not exist as well as absolute security. I propose the following:
> interaction is minimal Risk  or  interaction is acceptable Risk

Agreed.  Life is risk.  The intent is to mitigate risk or only take
risks when they are outweighed by the expected/desired rewards.

> 3) in the section Inputs for SOA-RA:  Although the SOA-RM states,
> policies may be documented in the service description, in fact they
> can be established at any time in the SOA conversation and at any
> level of the IP Stack (e.g. SSL with both Server and Client
> Certificates)  I do like this line of thoughts; to continue it we
> can say something like: Policies established during the SOA
> conversation MUST be included into the service contract (in addition
> to and/or instead of the policies identified before the SOA
> conversation).

The intent is to use service description to inform others what are the
default policies if no attempt is made to agree otherwise.  The
example I gave today was I say I want policy A but am willing to
accept policy B.  You may tell me you accept policy B but prefer
policy C.  The eventual agreement is part of the execution context.

> Plus, SSL with both Server and Client Certificates does not seem to
> me as a policy but rather as a result of the policy application. The
> policy in this case might be formulated as Communication between
> Server and Client must use SSL with both Server and Client
> Certificates
>
> - Michael

> Subject: Willingness based on Trust discussion
> 	From: "David E. Ellis" <dellis@sandia.gov>
> 	To: "'Ken Laskey'" <klaskey@mitre.org>,"'Rex Brooks'" <rexb@starbourne.com
> >
> 	Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 08:01:18 -0600
> Title: Willingness based on Trust discussion
> Ken, Rex
> Attached is a preliminary discussion of Trust.  I feel we need more
> words but please review for tomorrows meeting.  I will try to attend
> but I am in a IUBIP conference.
> Dave <<...>>
> <Trust section.doc>

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379