Subject: on UML, target audience, document structure ...

I'm currently trying to catch up on email and realize I haven't gotten
SOA-RM email for a couple days, so please excuse if this is covering
old territory.  (Also, if this gets a bit long in the tooth, please
just skip to the bottom and see another reference I suggest we look
at.)

There have been many thoughtful posts on these subjects.  I agree with
Rex Brooks that we need to go about this systematically because in my
experience if we don't, we will redo much and revisit issues which
should be long since buried.  Rebekah Metz brought up the numerous
potential audiences and while we can't be everything to everyone, if we
can't clearly describe our results to anyone but the experts, then we
miss our opportunity to have a real impact.  This said, I agree with
Greg Kohring that we need clear unambiguous (possibly multiple)
presentations, and the presentation will need to be clear and
appropriate for each audience we choose to address.

So I suggest the following:
1. Let's begin by figuring out what we have to say.  This should start
with collecting (and challenging) our assumptions about what an SOA is,
what it does (or helps us do), and why we care.  Don't worry at first
how to capture it formally - let the initial capture be the challenge
for our editing crew.

2. As we begin to understand the domain, let's consider how it
naturally partitions itself.  Part of that will be technical, part will
be the audiences for which we'll need to emphasize (or expand upon)
which aspects.

3. Then let's figure out the best way to present and refine our ideas.

For those that cringe that we'll wander forever, that will only happen
if we always express new ideas without giving any context for what has
already been said.  So when you bring something into the conversation,
say what it connects to, what it adds to, or what it is juxtaposed
against as a different way to view the problem.

Do I guarantee this will converge?  Well, let's say I'm cautiously
optimistic.  What I do know is that a false sense of structure does not
make hard points any easier and can deter making real progress.

Enough on general philosophy, as a concrete contribution, I suggest
looking at the OWL-S work
(http://www.w3.org/Submission/2004/SUBM-OWL-S-20041122/).  I am not
endorsing their solution but they have thought a lot about the problems
and needs for describing services and making services work.  Their
figures use a concept map (directed line graph) approach, so also look
at this as an example of presentation and see how you like (or dislike)
it.  I haven't yet read the companion document is OWL-S' Relationship
to Selected Other Technologies
(http://www.w3.org/Submission/2004/SUBM-OWL-S-related-20041122/).

Enough already :-)

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-883-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-883-1379