Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Architectural Scope of Reference Model

Agreed. I have forwarded the email from Duane to ebSOA members with this opener:

FYI - ebSOA group -

This is an update on the voluminous discussions happening at the SOA-Reference
Model group level. I felt that this email summarized the overall direction for
SOA-RM, with references to example work from OSI and others. I am forwarding it
for the persons not subscribed to SOA-RM. My apologies to those who have seen
this already.

John

~~~~~~~~~
john c hardin
CIO - crossconnections.ws
313.279.1377 new *VONAGE* number
313.930.5323 cell
mailto:john@crossconnections.ws

"The new electronic interdependence recreates the world in the image of a global
village."

     Marshall McLuhan, "Gutenberg Galaxy", 1962

Rex Brooks wrote:
> I understand better now, Duane,
>
> Thanks for the further reference materials.
>
> One question though: Shouldn't we start from the concrete now in a
> bottom-up approach since  structural elements such as messaging
> protocols and the manifold other concerns recently expressed, exist at a
> very mature stage now? I don't think we are in the position of driving
> research and development for protocols to be constructed out of our
> models. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we are in the position of
> needing to take full recognition of the existing protocols and abstract
> our models from these concrete architectural elements as they exist now.
>
> Then,  maybe we can look at how we can enable a more advantageous
> approach to combining these manifold technologies together in the manner
> our Reference Model can realistically provide.
>
> Ciao,
> Rex
>
> At 6:45 AM -0800 3/30/05, Duane Nickull wrote:
>
>> Thomas:
>>
>> Thank you for this very elegant summary!
>>
>> I think the answer may be in the definition of a "reference model" vs.
>> "architecture".  I think case studies will help clear up this
>> confusion.  A reference model will normally not contain "messages" as
>> a component.
>>
>> 1. Please look at the OSI Reference model.  This is a communication
>> stack yet it does not contain messages:
>> http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/comms/std.7layer.html
>>
>> This does not contain any "message" although messages will occur in
>> implementations using the reference model
>>
>> 2. The ITA Reference Model likewise does not have "messages":
>> http://www.ewita.com/earlywork/itarefr.htm
>>
>> 3. RCS Reference Model
>> http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/documents/messina/euro_cast.pdf
>>
>> Again - no messages even though there is an element marked
>> "Communications" in figure one. The reference Model should not contain
>> "messages" as a component. That belongs in architecture or
>> implementations based on the reference model.  I have never
>> encountered one reference model with concrete terms in it.  If it had
>> such, it would not be abstract.
>>
>> We must think abstract, not concrete.
>>
>> Duane Nickull
>>

>> Thomas Erl wrote:
>>
>>> Some thoughts regarding the on-going discussion of whether a message
>>> element should be part of our reference model:
>>>  As per our chosen definition of architecture, in order to describe
>>> service-oriented architecture we need to:
>>> 1. Define elements that comprise the structure of a system.
>>> 2. Define external properties of these elements.
>>> 3. Define relationships between these elements.