Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Definition of "Service Consumer"

Title: RE: [soa-rm] Definition of "Service Consumer"
I think we need further discussion. I would like to see the definition of service consumer, even though it is a compound term and might be hyphenated in plain English "service-consumer" and created as a Class in UML as "ServiceConsumer," and all first order SOA Terms, discussed in the context of a definition of "IT" as the domain of SOA. So, I guess what I am saying is that I think we need to chew over the charter and vote on it even though, presumably, we all bought into the charter as-was. By that I mean the sentence:

"A reference model is not directly tied to any standards, technologies or other concrete implementation details, but it does seek to provide a common semantics that can be used unambiguously across and between different implementations."

I really do believe that SOA, in broad terms, is applicable outside the realm of IT, but the term arose within it and either it should be bounded by an accepted definition of "Information Technology" in general and "knowledge management" in particular. Or we should define our own particular context, since, as a matter of fact, when we have a plumbing leak in our domiciles, we become agents seeking to consume a "plumbing" service in a very literal "SOA" where the architecture is the architecture of traditional scope even if we try to manage it through our own efforts researching the specific field by whatever means necessary, as anyone who has engaged in this exercise out of necessity at some time in their lives can readily attest... the point being that we need to get our "logical ducks" in a row as well as other considerations such as defining our audience, working top-down, bottom-up or mixing and matching methodologies.

Ciao,
Rex