Subject: RE: [soa-rm] interesting article - relevant to services and data model aspects of our RM

Title: Re: [soa-rm] interesting article - relevant to services and data model aspects of our RM
Thanks Duane.

To no particular individual: I also think that we should be thinking not only of the relevance of pieces like this to RM, but the relevance of our RM to pieces like this as well. Whether there is such a link, and how strong it is, will - I believe - be a good test of how leverageable our work will be in the real world.

From: Duane Nickull [mailto:dnickull@adobe.com]
Sent: Tue 5/3/2005 5:43 PM
To: Matthew MacKenzie
Cc: Chiusano Joseph; SOA-RM

Sorry - I missed this earlier.

The writer was thinking along the same pragmatic lines we were.
"To understand and apply the principles of SOA, you’d think we would
have to agree first on what we mean by a “service"

while he didn't actually suggest a definition, he added a though that
clearly separates services from processes. (re: our thread on service
being consumed as part of a process, POA et al)
"Services cross both process and environment boundaries."

I felt the latter may be of use to Vikas " SOA extends the tradition
along two axes: data representation and data communication.".  It is
similar to what he wrote in his section for Data Model.  exploring this
concept however, it is unclear from the article if the author has given
this as much thought as Vikas.  I am curious to know if Vikas thinks
this aligns with his section.

Duane