Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Comment: Section 2.1.1 Service Composition

Autonomy is inherently a relative concept -- one is autonomous from
control by something.

Having said that, there is a sense in which people intuit autonomy in
SOA-style systems: the provider of a service and the consumer of a
service may belong in different ownership domains; and, as such, have
certain *freedoms* that do not normally apply to C++ code: the
provider can refuse to offer service (like the notices you
occasionally see in restaurants:)
and the user of a service can similarly bail out. It makes sense to
design systems with this constraint in mind if you wish to provide
reliability in your services *and* in your 'client' code.

I.e., the autonomy constraint for service participants leads to a
reliability benefit in SOA architectures.

Frank