Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Good Recent SOA Piece:"Managing an XML Data Model In Your SOA - Best Practices"

Ken:

Excellent thoughts!  I would like to propose to the editor who is doing
the data model section to use this, especially the last sentence about
<end of rant>

Duane

Ken Laskey wrote:

> The critical line in this article is
>
> This article does not discuss how to integrate data models.
>
> Its premise is the tried (and usually failed) that if we all get into
> a room and be reasonable we can all find a common vocabulary to map
> to. I could go on about when that works and when that doesn't (see my
> OASIS Symposium presentation for more) but if that is the basis of
> SOA, then it will go no further than any other integration paradigm.
> The driving question is how do you create a system (service?) to do
> semantic negotiation between diverse vocabularies in a way that is (1)
> visible, (2) reusable, and (3) allows you to use what you know (or can
> find) in ways that enables you to do more with little or no effort.
>
> The SOA RM will not specify how this is done but it must also not
> codify an interchange vocabulary paradigm that will not scale.
>
> End of rant:-)
>
> Ken
>

> On May 6, 2005, at 10:32 AM, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
>
>     Forwarding a good recent SOA piece[1] for those interested in
>     reading it. Covers the notion of an integrated data model as a
>     foundational concept; also presents a 6-layer approach to SOA
>     (about mid-article).
>
>     Joe
>
>     [1] http://www.tdan.com/i032ht02.htm
>

>     Joseph Chiusano
>
>     Booz Allen Hamilton
>
>     Visit us online@ http://www.boozallen.com

> Ken Laskey
> MITRE Corporation, M/S H305 phone: 703-983-7934
> 7515 Colshire Drive fax: 703-983-1379
> McLean VA 22102-7508
>
> *** note change of phone extension from 883 to 983 effective 4/15/2005
> ***

Chair - OASIS Service Oriented Architecture Reference Model Technical Committee -
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=soa-rm
Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html