Subject: Re: [soa-rm] FYI: BEA SOA Reference Diagram

The diagram does not help me very much ...:)

I agree, however, that combining services seems to me to be an
integral part of service oriented architectures.

However, we are *not* doing an SOA!!! At least, that is my
understanding.

Instead, we are examining (!) the concepts and relationships that are
important in modeling SOAs.

So, for example, if service combination is an important concept of an
SOA that needs to be modeled, then we should see how to. (See below).
However, Duane, and others, have quite rightly pointed out that an
service that is *implemented* by combining several services is not in
scope for our work: precisely because an important aspect of SOA is
that how a service is implemented is strictly on a need to know
basis, and typically users of a service (and occasionally even
implementers of a service) do not need to know.

The other kind of service combination is what might be considered as
a *transparent* service combination. A good example of this kind of
service combination is how you might give someone advice about how to
achieve a goal: to get yourself a bank account (if you are a new
immigrant to the US), you first of all have to get a social security
number, and then get a letter from your employer and then go the
right bank, etc. etc. None of these services are ever likely to be
integrated into a single service whose implementation is hidden: you
have to know yourself how to achieve your goal.

Such transparent service combinations are the stuff of things like
BPEL <duck/> and W3C's CDL <also/> And, maybe, ourselves.

Incidentally, if you *do* need to include service combination in the
modeling of SOAs, I think that the simplest approach is simply to
identify -- again at the modeling not messaging level of abstraction
-- a service as a resource. Because, aggregating service is
fundamentally the same as aggregating resources.

Frank