Subject: Re: [soa-rm] another possible SOA diagram (revised)

We developed a resource model as part of the W3C WSA. That, in turn
was based on the REST architecture (abstracted a bit) by Roy Fielding.

However, at its heart, the resource model is both simple and subtle:
it is trying to nail down something that has been the source of a lot
of confusion (and superstition): the relationship between the names
of things and the things themselves.

There are three concepts that, together, form the resource
conception: the concept of a resource, the concept of an identifier
(a.k.a. symbol, URL, bag'o'bits, etc.) and the concept of a
representation (a.k.a. image, sensation etc.).

Once nailed down, you can then attach other properties to particular
kinds of resources: at one end you have ownership and at the other
end you have boulders, Web Services, and pictures of Roy Fielding's
car. (Sorry, in-joke).

Frank