Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Definition(s) of "service"

Joe,

I have no problem with your description of various services but what
your example points out is that you will likely have underlying
decision support capability that is accessed through a service rather
than being integral to the service itself.  This only makes sense
because decision support is an area of active research and we want
ways to access evolving capability without having to rewrite and
rewire our processes that depend on it.  More to the point, if we
have to wait for the evolving technical capability to be codified in
a new version of a standard (so we can build the service to the
standard) we will always be way behind the curve and people will
short-circuit the restrictive service framework.  There goes interoperability.

So from a specific architecture standpoint, I concur with your
descriptions but not from the perspective of a general SOA definition.

Ken

At 12:35 PM 8/4/2005, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> [...]

   /   Ken
Laskey                                                                \
  |    MITRE Corporation, M/S H305    phone:  703-983-7934   |
  |    7515 Colshire Drive                    fax:      703-983-1379   |
   \   McLean VA 22102-7508                                              /