Subject: Re: [soa-rm] RE: Resolving Various Policy Languages with Ontologies

I second this. Although it has been a while since I had to re-
engineer a toilet!

As you might have guessed, I have a slightly eclectic view of
ontology. I feel fairly firmly that the currently fashionable
approach of defining ontologies by means of classifications is
essentially broken; for 2 main reasons:

1. You cannot separate a concept network from a purpose. For example,
the set of concepts that are important in building furniture is not
the same as the set of concepts that are important for designing
office layouts -- even though both may mention chairs and tables in
some detail.

  Thus, mapping between ontologies becomes a task bridging activity.
This is something that the SW community does not yet seem to have
understood. <duck/>

2. The presupposition of many ontology notations is that the world is
composed of objects and it is the ontology engineer's task to
correctly classify those objects into conceptual hierarchies.

  However, even objectification (the process of identifying objects
from a continuous analog data stream) is already a non-trivial
activity involving a lot of interpretation and that cannot be
separated from the purpose of the identification. There is a lot of
neurological research that supports this perspective.

For our work, I think we ought to be careful and judicious in
invoking concepts such as Ontology. We should focus on the
requirements of describing service qua service; and leave the rest to
another day.

Frank