Subject: Re: shared state

Gary,

Are you signed up as a member of the TC.  If you are only an Observer, then I'm not sure it allows you to post.

Ken

On Apr 22, 2006, at 8:24 PM, GPOINDEXTER@wi.rr.com wrote:

For some reason I am unable to communicate with the TC. My messages
are rejected. Please consider the following - I give up.

gary

Here is the context for my attempt at a shared state definition:

In a justice incident we have a suspect (entity). The suspect has
various states such as wanted, arrested, booked, charged,
incarcerated, released, etc. Many services are involved from many
justice domains (police, courts, jail, corrections, etc.). They
provide and consume services related to the incident, subject,
location, charges, etc. but not necessarily with all other
participants and generally not all at the same time. So we have many
entities in common, the shared state of which is affected by many
services consumed and provided by common participants.

If this doesn't fit the context of the discussion, then I'll go back
to listening mode.

If nothing else, try knowledge of vs. view.

gary

Try this:

When the state of an entity is affected by multiple services or
multiple consumers of a single service, the state of the entity is
referred to as a "shared state." At any given point in time all
participants may or may not be aware of a change in shared state of an
entity, but the state must be discoverable; particularly when the
participants are not in the same ownership domain.

Sharing the state of an entity does not imply a common repository for
that state or entity. Instead, each participant has knowledge of the
state on its own as well as the world's knowledge of the state,
including those aspects that are shared. A participant's knowledge of
the world's state is inherently private to the participant. I.e.,
there may be shared state but each participant has its own private
knowledge of that state.

There is a strong relationship between shared state and the
interactions that lead up to that state. Typically in the form of
messages and other information that has been exchanged, this evidence
is information that supports the set of facts and commitments that are
shared.

It is not required that the interactions be recorded; although without
such recording it may become difficult to audit the shared state and
commitments at a subsequent time.

gary poindexter
<xmlLegal>
Mobile: 414-467-8222
Fax    : 770-216-1633

---
Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379