Subject: Re: [soa-rm] How To Succeed at Failure with Microservices

This was interesting. I was expecting a Fail Fast-Fix Fast-Continuous Improvement story and found a Learn-From-Failure to Change-Culture story. My takeaway was that the author considers the change to a Microservices Orientation (rather than Microservices Architecture) was a matter of culture change, and in that sense, more of a change to a DevOps/LeanAgile philosophy.

That's all a little too vague to me. I think our focus on a side-by-side comparison will be more valuable--with key metrics like finding the optimal number of external calls per microservice as a method for narrowing the microservice scope without narrowing it too far which increases the complexity of the set of microservices needed to provide a complete set of functionalities--such as a shopping service. And, of course we need to find metrics for things like the maximum/minimum number of decision points in a chain of microservices, and how long a period of latency is acceptable in eventual consistency between microservice-dedicated instances of persistent datastores and external master datastores.

The more I learn, the more it seems to me that we're working our way toward a loosely integrated combination of enterprise-wide SOAs servicing/serviced by clusters of user-facing microservices with something like API Gateways and/or NextGen ESBs as middleware between the kinds of architectures. The software development teams seem pretty well locked into DevOps/LeanAgile for Microarchitecture, and some kind of hybrid between Waterfall and Agile for the SOA Macroarchitecture.

Cheers,
Rex