stdsreg message

Subject: RE: [stdsreg] some thoughts on the future direction of StdsReg

John:

> What would actually be far preferable to us is a much wider
> agenda:  that we seek to create an  "Association of Standards
> Consortia" (with formal SDOs as associates).  This could promote
> information exchange, help desk function, and best practice for this
> and a number of other issues (eg a best practice for consortia IPR
> policies!), provide a portal and (ultimately) encourage efforts at
> collaboration to ensure inter-operability. This is an idea we
> have floated from time to time with different people;  of course it
> would need a resource commitment to create it, but, if we can
> develop a worthwhile contact base, it might be a good idea to test
> the waters and see whether enough people out there are interested.
> Then I think we would need a not-for-profit Association to be
formed:
> this can be done relatively easily even for very small activities in
> many countries, though obviously the scope and size of the operation
> would depend on what people are prepared to buy into.

Oh, the uber-organization idea :-) Actually, I like this idea a lot,
and have been thinking about it quite a bit the last several months.
My original thinking last fall when we started the StdsReg effort was
that this could become (or belongs in) some sort of uber-organization.

But I see a couple of problems: First, the funding, as you have
pointed out. Second, and more important, is the authority. If this was
merely a coordinative body then how useful would it be? At some point
its mission would be hampered by lack of authority over other SDOs.
And I can say for certain that there are very few SDOs in the world
right now who would voluntarily give up any of their soverignty to
join an uber-organization.

But despite these objections I still think that this is an interesting
idea that could be pursued. I would be (personally) interested in
being involved somehow.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations