tab-askthetab message

Subject: First Cut on Profiles

Greetings!

Thinking about an appropriate response from the TAB to the question
raised by Rex Brooks.

As a first cut I would suggest:

1. Acknowledge that OASIS has no formal guidance on the "profile" issue

2. Summarize the resources posted thus far, including those from Robin
(thanks Robin!).

Perhaps in the form of an annotated set of resources with the major
issues bulleted as a lead in?

Question: Given the complexity of the profile issue, do we need anything
more than some bright line stuff for the common cases (don't reuse names
in a namespace unless you are following the original definition)?

Having just skimmed most of the material that has been posted, I can
readily imagine having different opinions on successive days about
profiling in particular situations. I am not at all certain that beyond
repeating the considerations that have been outlined by others that
there is a lot of new ground to be covered. Perhaps after some
experience has been gained using those general profiling considerations
I may feel differently but at the moment I am not sure what more we
could offer.

I am not sure how such matters get on the agenda for discussion/decision
by the TAB but I would be more than happy to draft some text that
summarizes what I think could be some bring line rules and pointers to
other considerations that could form the basis for an answer from the TAB.

I am assuming that answers are expected in some relatively responsive
time frame.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net