tab-askthetab message

Subject: FW: [askthetab] errata question

FYI - my response to Jacob.

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary McRae [mailto:mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:32 PM
To: 'Jacob Westfall'; 'AskTheTAB@lists.oasis-open.org'
Subject: RE: [askthetab] errata question

Hi Jacob,

  While your question was directed to the TAB, I wanted to make sure you
were aware of the definition of "substantive change" as stated in the OASIS
TC Process:

"Substantive Change" is a change to a specification that would require a
compliant application or implementation to be modified or rewritten in order
to remain compliant.

  That means that if an implementation currently validates against an
existing normative schema, and the proposed changes would result in that
same implementation no longer validating, the change is deemed substantive.

  For instance, if a list of items is required to be in a particular order
and you change that order, an existing valid instance would no longer
validate. Similarly, if you changed the spelling or case of an element name
- even if it's to fix a 'typo' - an existing valid instance would no longer
validate.

Note that the substantive change bar is also applied when changes are made
to drafts after public review. If substantive changes have been made,
another (shorter) public review is required before the work can be advanced.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Regards,

Mary

Mary P McRae
Director, Technical Committee Administration
email: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
web: www.oasis-open.org
phone: 1.603.232.9090