tab-askthetab message

Subject: Re: [tab-askthetab] [Fwd: [askthetab] errata question] - Question2

Martin,

Martin Chapman wrote:
> Excellent point Mary. Some Board members are unhappy with the current restrictive errata process, so maybe we can think about this
> under TAB-Process. I know there have been Board level talks under the Process SC about forming a new TC to maintain or revise a spec
> from a closed down TC, but there are significant IPR issues related to members of the old TC, members of a new tc, and obligations.
> In other words a mine field.

True, but helping provide safe harbors or navigation of that minefield
or even better, reducing the complexity of that minefield, as it relates
to standards, is something OASIS and similar organizations are uniquely
suited to undertake.

Any one member of OASIS could decide on an internal policy and that
might be well and good for them but it would not have the impact of the
rather large share of IT interests who are members of OASIS adopting a
particular policy. Not that OASIS could change the laws governing IPR
issues but it certainly can be the locus of broad agreements that
further the interests of its members.

For example, improvements that reduce the amount of search and clearance
investment that is made by some members on their patent portfolios would
help increase their bottom lines in these troubled times.
> Maybe the best thing to do is insist all charters include time (e.g 6 months) after getting to OS in order to be able to process
> typical maintainance requests (which of course can be adopted using the normal TC process).

That seems like an awfully short period for the discovery of maintenance
issues. And being mindful if there were substantive issues, they could
well take more than 6 months to resolve.

By way of comparison, the JTC 1 process has a 5 year periodic review
cycle and the ability to maintain standards even in absence of the
originating SC.

Besides, standards are supposed to be important enough to persist. That
implies to me that the TC process, including IPR, should be geared to
further that goal.

Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick