tag message

Subject: Re: [tag] Groups - TA Anatomy V0.5 (AnatomyTA-v05.doc) uploaded

<quote>
Pass: the condition for adherence is satisfied (or is “true”)
Notes:
- A test assertion may specify condition(s) for pass alone, or for
fail alone, or for both. </quote>

Is there an example of a TA for pass alone?
I imagine most concerned with pass will also cover fail as the opposite
of pass won't they?

<quote>
-  If the adherence condition associated with a pass outcome is not
satisfied for an IUT (i.e. it evaluates to “false”) this does not
cause a fail outcome.
</quote>

I guess this is the statement which Dave points out could be laughed
at a bit. Fair enough if it is not thought about too much but, still,
if the TA is for pass alone then this statement is necessarily true.
I think there's a problem believing there are TAs for pass alone which
is why it seems a bit laughable.

Perhaps the Note should also cover the easier to understand type
of adherence condition which is associated with both a pass outcome
and a fail outcome. How about adding it at the beginning (with a bit
of rewording)?

"Notes:

The adherence condition may simply be associated with a pass
outcome and also cover the fail outcome such that if the condition
is not satisfied for the IUT (i.e. it evaluates to "false") this
will cause a fail outcome, as expected. However, if the adherence
condition is associated with just a pass outcome and not the fail and is
not satisfied for an IUT (i.e. it evaluates to “false”) this does NOT
cause a fail outcome. Conversely, if the incompatibility condition
associated with just a fail outcome is not satisfied (i.e. it evaluates
to “false”) this does not cause a pass outcome.
..."

I think examples would be clearer though than just stating these
things as (in some cases apparently unlikely) facts in the Notes.
We'd especially need an example of a condition for a pass alone
but one for a fail alone seems more likely to be typical.

I think I agree now with both Dave and Lynne if I understand
it rightly that most existing TA examples will be for a pass but
will also include (perhaps implicitly) a fail and I think the fail
might tend to be associated with a false condition in most existing
TAs. Maybe there is some change management needed...

Regards

Steve