tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] Groups - TA Anatomy V0.5 (AnatomyTA-v05.doc) uploaded

Thank you all for a quick feedback! (nothing such as floating a bait
around, to get a few bites ;-)

1. The "laughters" would come, as S.G. pointed out , from the fact that
a 3rd outcome besides pass/fail - call it "inconclusive" - has not been
explicitly stated. No I'm not logically-challenged...

2. At the root of all this, a fundamental question on pass/fail
semantics. Do we want:
(a) pass/fail that has a test semantics only, i.e. nothing more than
true/false if the test is presented as a logical condition. Thus, a
"pass"  in a "negative TA" could be interpreted later as the IUT being
NOT consistent with spec requirement.
(b) pass/fail that has a conformance semantics (i.e. an outcome = "fail"
means the IUT is inconsistent with the addressed spec requirement, and
"pass" means consistency within scope of this test.)
I am leaning in favor of (b) as I think it is more intuitive. Certainly
many people - including me - have written their TAs that way without
trouble. But (b) must make room for a third outcome:
pass/fail/inconclusive.

3. There seems to be a consensus (including me) that at the end of the
day, a conformance clause or a test suite will make sense of the results
of all the test cases that exercise these Tas, w/r to conformance. So
indeed, a "pass" or a "fail" can be interpreted as needed based on what
kind of conformance we shoot for.
But if we go with (a) in (2) above, I would argue that a TA writer MUST
provide guidance as how this test result is to be interpreted, i.e. what
it says about adherence to the spec requirement. Otherwise, talk about
confusion for test case writers, as well as for conf clause writers.
I still think it's nice to have a TA say something about IUT consistency
with the spec requirement it addresses !! (a) above would give
absolutely no indication as how to interpret the result of this test.

4. About "fail" != not("pass") and vice-versa: agree needs be
illustrated better. But note that the example starting page #1, is
worded as such a case - if condition for "pass" is false, does not mean
that the IUT is incompatible with spec requirement ("fail")... The test
condition could be "false" for other reasons than spec requirement
issues (unless we craft adequate pre-requisites/pre-conditions?).
Depends on how it is worded. But more common is negative testing
practice, all about demonstrating "fail" or not, but saying nothing
about "pass".

Regards,
Jacques