tag message

Subject: Handling of "multi-target" TAs

Stephen:

Looks good to me except for the handling of "multi-target" Tas:

In TA model you add:

"In cases where more than one target is relevant to a test assertion,
additional targets may be treated as accessory objects and reference to
these made using variables (see variables section below) and combined to
form a compound target expression."

I think the following updates are needed:
- we need to be more assertive  on what is to be done (may -> must : the
user does not have the choice !)
- also explain a bit more the "multi-target" situation, while avoiding
to call the additional objects "targets"
- and finally, the target of such a TA is in general NOT the compound of
these objects (though it may):

"In cases where the predicate of a test assertion needs to use more than
one object (part of an implementation), it is possible to consider their
composition as the target. However in many cases, one of them must be
selected as the target, while the other objects are accessory to the
test. Such objects can be referenced in the predicate or prerequisite
using variables."

I suggest we add a similar note in the Guidelines, a little more verbose
with a little inline example, say at the end of 4.1 "Complex
Predicates", since this issue is normally coming up when people have to
define a predicate using several obejcts:

"Another case where a predicate is more complex is when its conditional
expression involves more than one part of an implementation(s). In some
cases it is clear which one of these objects must be considered as the
target, while others are just accessory objects.
Consider the following predicate: "the [widget price tag] is matching
the price assigned to this widget in its [catalog entry]", where price
tags and catalog entries are both items that must follow the store
policy (the specification). In that case it may be reasonably assumed
that the "catalog" content is authoritative over the price tag. The
price tag can then be considered as the test target, while the accessory
object may be identified by a variable which is then used in the
predicate.

Other cases are more ambiguous.
Consider the following predicate: "the [widget price tag] is matching
the price that is reported on the related [item in promotion list] at
the store entrance", where it is not clear at which one of these
often-changing labels must be incriminated in case of discrepancy
(although whichever is lower will likely prevail should a customer
complain).

Three approaches are possible:

(1) Consider a combined target, here a pair [price tag and promotion
item for widget X] that is identified by the widget ref number. This
combination will fail or pass the test.
(2) Select arbitrarily one object as the target, while the other will be
accessory, e.g. identified by a variable. In a derived test case, a
predicate failure will inevitably lead to examine both, should the
accessory object be causing the failure.
(3) Write two similar test assertions using alternately one object and
the other as targets."

For review...

Jacques