tag message

Subject: Re: Handling of "multi-target" TAs

> "In cases where the predicate of a test assertion needs to use more than
> one object (part of an implementation), it is possible to consider their
> composition as the target. However in many cases, one of them must be
> selected as the target, while the other objects are accessory to the
> test. Such objects can be referenced in the predicate or prerequisite
> using variables."

I agree, provided the 'must' in "one of them must be" is
not a normative MUST since there are alternatives (as
considering "the composition as the target" or, in my
example just posted, considering the relationship between
two or more objects as the target).

I do wonder whether we have defined clearly what a 'target'
actually is - the rationale / reason for having one object
in a predicate distinguished and called a 'target'. We have
done so implicitly (something in an implementation which
is a focus for testing and/or subject of the assertion, though
I'm not sure we are clear whether test target or assertion
subject is the primary focus). Should/could this be more
explicit. Why, exactly, explicitly, does a particular object
in a predicate/assertion need to be (and qualify for being)
denoted a 'target'?

Best regards

Steve
---