tgf message

Subject: Update on JTC 1/SC40

Hi John,

As promised before I drop off the radar next week and as I will miss the next TC meeting, hereby a quick update on what’s happening in SC40.

Just a quick clarification, as it gets a bit confusing:

-          Within JTC 1, an SC governs the overall work in an area (SC40 covering IT governance and IT services management); agrees on new work to be done; conducts all ballots to advance work through the formal stages; and finalize and close work items.

-          Each SC is made up of (voting) national bodies, each with a delegation and designated head of delegation. For example, I am a member of the BSI delegation, as Geoff is of the Standards Australia delegation;

-          OASIS can request a formal liaison status with a specific SC and already has this status with several SCs. It can submit new work items (but usually doesn’t) as well as liaison reports and suggestions/comments. This also provides the conduit for making formal “PAS” submissions, of approved OAIS Standards to ISO;

-          Within individual SCs, individual working groups (WGs) do the bulk of the work. National bodies, as well as liaisons, nominate specific named individuals, as “experts” to the WGs. The work of WGs progresses based on cooperation between the individual experts and not based on representation of national body or liaison. In SC40, for example, as well as being a member of the BSI delegation to the SC, I am designated as an expert to the WG1, which will cover IT Governance work.

Please note: the attached documents are not for wider circulation as they are covered by JTC 1 rules. They are submitted to the TGF TC for information and as being relevant to our own work with SC40.

Mapping of TGF to ISO 38500

The first SC40 plenary in Sydney in a few weeks will be looking at its work programme for the next couple of years and has been receiving contributions (from national bodies and individuals) about possible new work items as well as considerations about overall direction. I have now submitted – as an individual expert to the working group on IT Governance – a draft new work item (copy attached).

Jamie has separately drafted a short note on behalf of OASIS (not just the TGF TC) expressing OASIS’ interest in such a mapping exercise.

The next steps within the SC are:

-          Discussion in Sydney within the working group covering IT Governance, WG1;

-          Recommendation to the full SC as to whether to proceed;

-          Decision within the SC - this requires at least five national bodies to support a formal “New Work Item Proposal” (NWIP);

-          Nomination of a project editor and submission thereafter of work, thast progresses through the WG and is balloted when necessary by the whole SC.

I will report back to the TC after the plenary meeting, finishing on 13 June.

Liaison

This has now been formally submitted. OASIS will become a ‘Category A” liaison to the SC, with Geoff Clark and Jamie named as liaisons; and specific TCs (and here TGF is explicitly called out) will be invited to suggest experts to join the individual working groups under the SC. For the moment, that will be Geoff.

PAS Submission of OASIS TGF

I consider this action to be on hold until the TC has discussed and taken a decision as to whether to proceed the TGF v2 on to an OASIS Standard. This discussion may itself be influenced by the outcomes of the Sydney SC plenary meeting.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Peter

cid:image001.jpg@01CE0F64.C0141190

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

CIPP/IT

”Using Information Technologies to Empower and Transform”

200 S Barrington Ave., #49719

Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278

www.PeterFBrown.com