Subject: [tm-pubsubj] Vocabulary - PubSubj TC vs ISO 13250 (Re: Deliverable 1review ...)

Lars Marius

This is the second part of the answer. It concerns the respective role of
PubSubj TC and ISO 13250 on vocabulary.

> |  # 2  The TC SHALL clarify the nature of and relationships between the
following concepts:

> | -- subject (as defined in ISO 13250)
> | -- published subject (as defined in ISO 13250)
> | -- subject indicator (as defined in ISO 13250)
> | -- published subject documentation (NOT defined in ISO 13250)
> | -- subject definition document (NOT defined in ISO 13250)
> | -- subject indicator reference (as defined in ISO 13250)

> I think this list is problematic in that it sounds as though we plan
> to redefine those concepts already in ISO 13250, or at least it will
> make some people misunderstand us that way.

This list is what we had agreed on in Orlando, as far as I understood.
There again, based on Steve Pepper's notes that I copy at the end of the post
for reference [1].
It seemed to me there was a consensus that ISO 13250 vocabulary on published
subjects was confusing and had to be clarified, extended and/or refined, but we
did not really discuss if this had to be made in ISO 13250 or by the TC. The
wording of the requirement #2 above seems to put the work in the hands of the
TC. We agreed also on the following requirement:

#9 The TC SHOULD avoid naming or renaming concepts in conflict with ISO 13250.

Making clear that every term defined by ISO 13250 shall not be redefined. But
new concepts have to be linked to the existing ones ... IMO it would be better
if *all* the vocabulary was/has been defined by ISO 13250. We had people from
ISO in Orlando, and this was not really pointed out nor clearly settled.
Opinions from ISO people?

[1] Steve Pepper's notes in Orlando, for reference:

subject
  = anything whatsoever, regardless of whether it exists or has any other
    specific characteristics, about which anything whatsoever may be
    asserted by any means whatsoever

subject indicator
  = a resource that directly or indirectly indicates the nature of a subject

published subject
  = subclass of subject for which there exists at least one subject definition
document

subject definition document (SDD)
  = document intended to provide a human-perceivable indication of the nature of
a subject

published subject documentation (PSD)
  = documentation provided by the publisher of a published subject, including
    the SDD and a URI that gets you to the SDD, either directly or indirectly
    (may also include documents that provide indirection between the two)

published subject indicator (PSI)
  = that which is addressed by the URI of the subjectIndicatorRef
    which may be the SDD or another document that directs you to the SDD
    (This other document conforms to some formal syntax, e.g. XTM)

subject indicator reference
  = a URI that references a subject indicator (SIR)