Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Published subjects terminology

* Bernard Vatant

| Basically I agree on most of your prose, and I think it fits 95%
| with the glossary we have so far.

Excellent! That means we've made some progress.

| The last point I am uneasy upon is the use of "subject indicator
| reference", for previous quoted reasons.

I'm happy to replace it by "subject identifier".

| OTOH, I disagree with two points of your diagram at
| http://www.ontopia.net/tmp/terms.png
|
| 1. I don't think the SDR "identifies" the subject. It *defines* or
| at least *describes* it.

"Describes" is too weak, I think. People should feel that the SDR
ought to more than just talk about the subject in a general way.
The difference between "identifies" and "defines" I don't really know
what is in this context, but since we've already used "subject
identifier" for other purpose "defines" seems safer.

| 2. The URI does not appear in your diagram, although it seems
| essential. The URI is the identifier.

I agree. I had trouble working it in, but the caption "subj.ind.ref."
could now be replaced by "subj.id. (URI)" or something like it. Better
suggestions are gratefully received.

(BTW, do feel free to put the PNG file on the TC site.)

| A subject can be:
|
| -- *represented* (or *reified*, for those who still dare use that
| dangerous word) by a topic in a topic map

To reify means something specific, and we should take care to use the
word correctly. Reification is a special case of representation. When
a topic represents a part of the topic map it reifies that part. If
this is not the case the topic just represents its subject.

| -- *indicated* by a subject indicator (in a topic map, by a topic
| map author through a subject indicator reference)
| -- *defined* or *described* in a subject definition resource (by a published subjects'
| publisher)
| -- *published*  ... if a publisher has taken care to do it
| -- *identified* by an URI (wrapped in the subject indicator reference by the topic map
| author, or declared in the published subject documentation by the publisher)

Agreed.

| I should try try to put that in a diagram, too.

Please do. :-)

--Lars M.