Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Jan 29 agenda: Documentation formats

Steve

I see a clear advantage and some drawbacks in your model.

-- General advantage : Full XTM technology. Matching one-to-one a published subject with a
canonical topic, its canonical URI identifier, in a canonical topic map is great in
principle : you have stability of identifier, and manage behind the scenes, in the
occurrences, metadata, names, definition ... all the "indicator content".

-- General drawback : Needs XTM technology on "server" and "client" side to be fully
efficient
Well. I think that's consistent with Ontopia's firm trust in XTM pervasive adoption :))

Devil in the details ... where/what is the "subject indicator" in your model? Remember it
should be human-readable resource, and retrievable from the subject identifier. Your
subject identifier addresses directly a <topic> element in an XTM file. If you have to go
through the topic map processing to retrieve the indicator content, via occurrences, like
in your example, use of your PSI set needs an XTM parser on client-side to extract the
occurrences. And if your documentation set is heavy, does that mean I have to download the
whole XTM file and parse it to find out the subject indicator (whatever it is)?
You will answer that the subject indicator content is also available, for humans to
figure, at the html "browser-friendly" - I suppose you mean "human-user-friendly" -
version. But this is more confusing that anything else: there is another URI to get there,
like say http://psi.ontopia.net/i18n/i18n.html#abugida. Is the content you retrieve from
this address the subject indicator itself, or another version of the subject indicator, or
an occurrence of it which is not the canonical one? How do you consider that? The .html
URI is *not* the published subject identifier you have declared, but it is indeed the best
way for humans to access the subject indicator *information*, if not the subject indicator
itself, so you are at risks to see some TM authors use the .html URI as subject
indentifier instead of the .xtm ... How do you deal with that?

Hope that helps you clarifying your model - or throw it away <o:)

Bernard