Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Jan 29 agenda: Documentation formats

At 10:03 30/01/02 +0100, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>Steve
>
>I see a clear advantage and some drawbacks in your model.
>
>-- General advantage : Full XTM technology. Matching one-to-one a
>published subject with a
>canonical topic, its canonical URI identifier, in a canonical topic map is
>great in
>principle : you have stability of identifier, and manage behind the
>scenes, in the
>occurrences, metadata, names, definition ... all the "indicator content".

All good reasons for doing it this way. I think we can and should come up
with more, in order to encourage as many publishers as possible to use a
truly machine processible notation for their published subject indicators.

But as I have said several times: I am opposed to *mandating* the use of
XTM syntax. We should encourage it, but not mandate it. We should describe
best practices (and provide examples) for those wanting to use XTM. We
should also describe best practices (and provide examples) for those
choosing to use RDF or XHTML.

I think the best way to proceed now is the following:

Each of us creates a smallish published subject documentation set, using
whatever notation he or she prefers, and shares it with this list. We need
not (indeed, should not) use the same subjects. The PSDS could cover a
single subject, a handful of subjects, or a substantial number of subjects:
The more variety the better! I am convinced that this process will raise
most of the issues that we need to discuss in order to progress. Just try
it and see!

I will now go away and create a PSDS for the single subject "Ontopia".
Watch this space!

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)