Subject: [tm-pubsubj] Recommendations or requirements?

I have read the minutes of Jan 29 meeting and am happy with most of them.
Thanks to Suellen for providing such a succint and useful summary.

I have one comment, regarding the statement "The consensus is that the TC
recommendations will not recommend any particular syntax, but a general
abstract model. Although, for some specific formats, it will provide a
recommended syntax."

I believe we *should* recommend the use of a machine processable syntax,
but we should not require it. We should suggest either XTM or RDF (are
there other candidates?) as being most appropriate.

Perhaps we need to rename the document as "Requirements and recommendations
for the Documentation of Published Subjects".

Typical requirements might be

* A published subject SHALL have a published subject identifier which
resolves to a published subject indicator.

* The published subject documentation set SHALL include a
human-interpretable description of each subject.

A typical recommendation might be

* A published subject indicator SHOULD use an appropriate
machine-processable notation such as XTM or RDF.

There should be text that explains the rationale for each requirement and
recommendation.

Comments?

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)