Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: Charter: Participating Member conditions

I support Steve's point of view than F2F meetings are irreplaceable.
It's hard to achieve consensus and to make progress if many people
are not present on a regular basis and exchange ideas, points of views, etc.
The thing which I have seen happening several times in F2F meetings is
that people (including me) are able to change their minds after having been
convinced by others. It's much more difficult to achieve this with a
one-hour
conference call for example.
Also, it already appears that some of the ideas that are in the topic map
standard
are not understood at once, and can only be discussed fruitfully after a
certain amount
of time.
It seems to me that given the fact that we need to build consensus on a
variety of
questions, and that some of these issues will require a significant amount
of time before
various opinions can be confronted and enrich each other, it gives me the
impression
that the job will not be as successful if it's not built on the ground of a
strong consensus,
which I think can only happen after people have started to know each other
and really
worked together.

Michel
Michel Biezunski, Infoloom
1 boulevard du Temple, 75003 Paris, France
Tel +33 1 44 59 84 29 Cell +33 6 03 99 25 29
Fax +33 1 47 50 90 33 Email: mb@infoloom.com
Web: www.infoloom.com