Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: Charter: Participating Member conditions

[NB There seems to be some problems with the xtm-wg@egroups.com
mailing list. I thought I was on it, but discovered today that I
wasn't. Maybe I screwed up when registering. But in any case, if
you think you are on this mailing list, and also on the topicmapmail
mailing list, and only receive one copy of this email, check out
your registration at www.emails.com.]

At 21:06 12.03.00 -0800, Michel Biezunski wrote:
>I support Steve's point of view than F2F meetings are irreplaceable.

I wasn't quite sure exactly what was the common vision of the TM.O
Authoring Group (as opposed to the TM.O itself). Having read Steve
N.'s ideas I want to say that I agree wholeheartedly and that I
fully support the requirement not to miss more than one face-to-face
meeting in order to retain full participating membership of the AG.

The AG has an important and pressing task to fulfil and cannot
afford to waste time bringing new people up-to-speed or going over
old discussions at every meeting.

However, this only relates to subsidiary goal # 1 (charter draft
2000.03.01):

   1.1. Develop, publish, maintain, and promote a specification,
   known as the TopicMaps.Org Specification, for the expression of
   topic maps in XML. [1]

There ought to be ample opportunities for those not willing or able
to make such a large commitment to participate in TM.O work in areas
other than the creation the XTM specification:

   1.3. Encourage the development of TopicMaps.Org
   Specification-conformant implementations, and provide a forum
   for resolving interoperability issues.

   1.4. Encourage the development of technology to support the
   TopicMaps.Org Specification, including reference
   implementations.

   1.5. Maintain a public archive from which software and
   information relevant to the TopicMaps.Org AG can be obtained
   through electronic transfer.

   1.6. Provide a forum for the discussion of issues and
   technologies related to XML Topic Maps.

Maybe there should be a second body or committee, with less strict
membership requirements, for looking after these things?

Steve

[1] Steve N. asked if anyone had strong feelings about the XTM
moniker. *I do*. It has a much better ring to it than
"TopicMaps.Org Specification".

--
Steve Pepper, STEP Infotek AS (+47 908 27246)