Hello,

First my apologies for those of you who have seen this message before.
I already posted to the topic maps mailing list, but I keep forgetting
that the mailing list and the egroups list are not cross posting.

I would like to get a "show of hands" from people with a strong
interest in semantic markup for the purpose of supporting "shared
mental models" and collaborative cognition / distributed knowledge
structuring activities.

There is a lot of activity right now on a "semantic-web".  The
semantic web might be defined as standards for semantic markup (e.g.,
TopicMaps, SHOE, etc.) and the processing of semantic markup by
systems that support monotonic reasoning and binary (vs probabilistic)
truth values.  (Examples of such reasoning systems would include
PARKA.)  Such standards and technology support a wide array of
intelligent agents, categorization of content, etc.  However,
it can be argued that they fall short enabling collaborative cognitive
support.

I am seeking to identify people interested in standards work and
demonstration systems for a "cognitive-web."  I would characterize a
cognitive web as supporting non-monotonic reasoning, probabilistic (or
pseudo-probabilistic) truth values, and explicit support for negation.
An application of such systems would be sharing mental models
concerning a domain (e.g., global climate change).  In particular, I
am interested in applying such models to facilitate collaborative
reasoning about knowledge, uncertainty, the value that we attach to
goals, and plans to realize those goals.

If you would be interested in participating in a discussion group
focused on this topic, please reply (either to the list or to me
directly).  I expect that this group would seek to contribute to
existing standards activities so as to enable an infrastructure for a
cognitive-web.

Thanks,

-bryan

Bryan Thompson
bryan@cog-tech.com

PS: I will be attending the meeting in Paris.

Hot off the press- summer's here!
School's out and it's sizzling hot. Whether you're planning a
graduation party, a summer brunch, or simple birthday party,
shop GreatEntertaining.com before your next celebration.