Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: Open Source Ontology project

--- In xtm-wg@egroups.com, bryan@c... wrote:
> Guy Lukes (lukesg@f...) and I (bryan@c...) are interested
> in developing an extensible ontology / topic map to describe open
> source projects.  Eventually we see this as a knowledge management
> tool to support the search for, and coordination, of expertise and
> information on open source projects.
> > What is the state of the art here?  Ideally this project would be
> developed with open source software, but we would be willing to
> conduct the project using closed software as well (any offers?).  I
> might suggest that this project, if successful, would have a fairly
> high profile and could create some practical interest in topic maps
> within a broad and informed community.

Other than being a topic map describing open source projects, I
wonder how would this be different from Lars Marius Garshol's "Free
XML tools and software" site
(http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/xmltools/) that has been
implemented in Topic Maps
(http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/xmltools/xmltools-tm.xml).  As
the demand for free XML tools increases, a site that allows
developers to easily describe and discover free XML software should
have a similar effect in promoting interest in Topic Maps within the
software development community.

Scott Tsao

Wrox Wireless Developer Conference, Amsterdam, July 10-12. Choose from
40+ technical sessions covering application of WAP, XML, ASP, Java and
C++ to mobile computing. Get your ticket to the future today!