Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Re: Next XTM WG Meeting(s)

I have taken the liberty of attempting to make an arrangement whereby
we could have XTM meetings in the evenings during the Extreme
conference in Montreal.

This was morally against the policy of the conference, which is to
keep all meetings totally away from it.  I therefore recused myself
from the decision, even though I am one of the four co-chairs of the
conference.

The decision was a reluctant "No".  If we made an exception in this
case, we'd have to make other exceptions.  It would endanger one of
the primary purposes of the conference, which is to allow technical
people, worldwide, to enjoy some unplanned camaraderie with one
another.  In at least some cases, this may mean going out and getting
even drunker with each other after each of the evening receptions, in
the long, balmy summer evenings in colorful, high-latitude Montreal.
The latter kind of activity is more in keeping with the busman's
holiday culture of this particular conference than going straight into
a standards meeting at 8:00 pm would be, especially after a long day
of geek-to-geek mutual technical stimulation.

Personally, I'd rather not have an XTM meeting in Montreal.  However,
time is short, windows may be closing, and all other kinds of urgency
are evergreen.  If we must have a meeting in Montreal, it's better to
have it after the conference, on the following Saturday and Sunday,
August 18-19.  The only other alternative is to have it before the
tutorials, which would make the unwarranted presumption that all the
XTMers would also like to take part in the pre-conference tutorial
program.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, President, TechnoTeacher, Inc.
srn@techno.com  http://www.techno.com  ftp.techno.com

voice: +1 972 359 8160
fax    +1 972 359 0270

405 Flagler Court
Allen Texas 75013-2821 USA

Add the interactive dimension to your web pages.
Use the MozquitoTM Factory with your editor and form the web today!
Form the Web today - visit: