Subject: [xtm-wg] XTM Requirements (Was RE: Is this valid per HyTime? - topicmapmai l thread)

This very interesting discussion that is going on in
topicmapmail@infoloom.com emphasises the need to develop the Requirements
document for XTM. I agree that this can be done in parallel with the work of
the Modeling Group, if that is deemed appropriate.

Eliot has said of HyTime that it was "not intended to be complete with
respect to knowledge
representation". Is XTM intended to be complete with respect to knowledge
representation? What do we mean by that? These are requirements-definition
issues.

My personal position is that "complete with respect to knowledge
representation" is an unachievable goal, since humans have not yet managed
to understand what knowledge is sufficiently clearly to know what it would
mean. However, the ability to express some of the semantics that are under
discussion in this and other recent threads, to do with classification,
subtyping, class-instance relationships, transitivity and symmetry of
relationships, etc, is important enough in my view to provide a useful set
of candidate requirements. We'd need to decide which of these candidate
requirements we include in the formal requirements for XTM. Then we'd need
to decide how they are met, and this could include meeting some in the
formal core model and others in public subjects.

Eric asks "Do public subjects have the same degree of enforceability as
something stated in the standard?" The answer is "Yes if they are stated in
the standard".

This rhetorical answer is not a joke. I suggested in the modeling group that
we could have a formal "core" model AND a set of public subjects in the
standard. I believe this is what the ISO WG is coming round to also. We
could also have a base syntax (which is a syntactic representation just of
the core model, so that users of the public subjects would make them
explicit using the core syntax) AND a fuller syntax in which the public
subjects get enshrined in special element types or attribute names. This is
already done in the ISO standard, where alternative syntaxes are provided
for certain constructs, with the express statement that they are
semantically equivalent. My suggestion would be that the base syntax provide
only one syntactic representation for each construct in the core model, but
that the  alternative syntax might provide more than one, with clear
mappings back to the core model plus public subjects.

Daniel