Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] e-groups excrement in our messages

Thanks Murray

I hear you, and am happy to follow the views and feelings being expressed.

Best

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Murray Altheim [mailto:murray.altheim@eng.sun.com]
Sent: 19 July 2000 22:34
To: xtm-wg@egroups.com

Daniel Rivers-Moore wrote:

> eGroups does not force you to submit to advertising. You can avoid it by
> paying for the service. This seems quite normal to me. Someone has to pay
> for the service. If you don't, advertisers do.

I use all sorts of online services that are provided gratis. Sometimes they
are donated services, such as is used by IETF working groups, Linux
discussion
boards, etc. I see absolutely no reason to pay for e-groups, nor to submit
advertising in this activity. I'm sure that if Steve weren't able to donate
server space, I could easily rouse up some here at Sun, and we'd also
provide
it for free, with no advertising. I'm sure others in the XTM would do the
same.

In the process we *might* have to give up chat, etc. but I don't think we
even need chat all that much, especially since we're so spread out across
the globe that it would be a major inconvenience for many to be chatting
at 7:00am or 11:30pm instead of sleeping or spending time with friends and
family. And really, it's not hard to set up an IRC site, not really much
harder than majordomo.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

Create professional forms and interactive web pages in less time
with Mozquito(tm) technology.
Form the Web today - visit:

Replace complicated scripts using 14 new HTML tags that work in
current browsers.
Form the Web today - visit: