Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] e-groups excrement in our messages

I don't find it offensive personally, but if some of us do, then let's find
some other arrangement.
I guess it's also just possible that someone somewhere might infer some
endorsement, from the content of a message (out of context, i.e. without
knowledge of egroups manner of working) & I guess I'm not the only one whose
company or other employer would be unhappy if that happened in any serious
way...

Of the alternatives offered so far, I like the Sun-hosting option from
Murray. I agree that chat is inessential (and from my recent experieince on
another egroups group, is not dependable).

Cheers

Ann W.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven R. Newcomb [mailto:srn@techno.com]
Sent: 19 July 2000 20:21
To: xtm-wg@egroups.com; xtm-mg@egroups.com
Subject: [xtm-wg] e-groups excrement in our messages

With regard to the following odious excrement:

> Replace complicated scripts using 14 new HTML tags that work in
> current browsers.
> Form the Web today - visit:
> Create professional forms and interactive web pages in less time
> with Mozquito(tm) technology.
> Form the Web today - visit:

I am not pleased to see the above spurious messages appended to my
XTM-related notes.  A strong implication is created that I somehow
endorse the advertised products, services, and ideas.  I do not
endorse them, and I resent the fact that the faceless e-groups
bureaucracy can introduce arbitrary commercials into my messages
without my prior approval.

Does anyone else feel as I do?  Would anyone object to our moving the
list forwarding service to a private forwarding service contributed by
me personally?  It would cost the group nothing, and it would get rid
of this exceedingly obnoxious automatic peeing in our messages.
Judging from years of experience with hosting message forwarding
services for the GCA, for HyTime.Org, the SGML Users' Group, and
others, my server's service would be *at the very least* just as
reliable as that provided by e-groups.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, President, TechnoTeacher, Inc.
srn@techno.com  http://www.techno.com  ftp.techno.com

voice: +1 972 359 8160
fax    +1 972 359 0270

405 Flagler Court
Allen, Texas 75013-2821 USA

Create professional forms and interactive web pages in less time
with Mozquito(tm) technology.
Form the Web today - visit:

Still looking for the complete Application Server solution?
Find answers and a $75 gift certificate at the Intraware App Server
Webinar. Sign up at: