Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Grandfathered Public Topics [Was: lazy processing... ]

Peter Jones wrote:

> >but we need some real basic stuff like simple logical expressions.
>
> Following some postings to the list, I had (a revelation) and an off-list
> discussion with Steve N and Michel about this. Topic Maps (ISO 13250)
> deliberately omit any logical stuff (e.g. operators and quantifiers,
> disjunction types, term equivalence and substitution rules, etc.) from the
> specification. This is because a Topic Map can (if you want) present a set
> of denotations needed for the terms of a set of logical expressions in
> whatever format/syntax those are expressed. That way it provides a resource
> to existing syntaxes for logical expressions like Knowledge Interchange
> Format without reinventing the wheel. Clever, eh?
> (I nearly fried my brain when I spotted that one.)

Yes. Perhaps I'm not reading your message correctly, but this is exactly
what I was talking about. What I'd like to see happen is that we facilitate
(to use the 1990's jargon) the ability of various communities to create
their own public topics and share them, perhaps register them at xml.org
where everyone can look to see (and not reinvent, not re-register) them.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

Create professional forms and interactive web pages in less time
with Mozquito(tm) technology.
Form the Web today - visit: