Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Knowledge management claims re XTM (and Topic Maps...)

I wholeheartedly agree with Ms. Wrightson's concerns. As a lurker for the
most part on this list, I have felt similar concerns and not expressed them.

I hear people saying that the way to solve this problem is to shy away from
including any meaningful semantics in TMs (e.g., transitivity, symmetry; the
ability to specify abstract association types for prototyping and validation
purposes; etc.), leaving all that to be specified by applications. There is
a danger in that approach that is at least as great as specifying too much;
from the perspective of the work I am doing as a consultant for
pharmaceutical publications, TMs contain too little information to be useful
for our purposes (merging knowledge/content bases, unifying lexicons and
thesauri, etc.)

Hand Holger-Rath and Steve Pepper did a paper a while ago called Topic Maps:
Introduction and Allegro that contained some suggestions for TM templates
and validation
(http://www.topicmaps.com/content/resources/mt99/hhr-stp.pdf). Rather than
repeat what they said there, I would simply second their concerns and hope
that XTM can address them.

It sounds like your meetings went well, and rest assured I will be on here
the sidelines cheering you on!

-Dale Hunscher
South Wind Design, Inc.