Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Knowledge management claims re XTM (and Topic Maps...)

> Hi folks...
>
> I don't know if you discussed this at all in Montreal,

See my note to the group
> but I am very
> concerned that XTM should encourage/facilitate good working-with the
> long-standing academic knowledge-engineering community by
> a) being (very) moderate and realistic in its claims for XTM *by
> itself* as
> a knowledge modelling technique - XTM's main strength could well be in
> providing the "hooks" which enable the wide range of established knowledge
> modelling techniques to link to Web resources, and also in
> providing simple
> exchangeable *static* representations of (some) such models;

I agree.

> b) working with folks who have done eg semantic modelling for
> years, rather
> than trying to (re)invent ways of doing it without the benefit of that
> experience.

Yes, the way to do it is to prevent ourselves to model any specific
semantics into the
standard. It should be a neutral envelope. This is a principle we have
applied since the
beginning of the work with ISO, and I think we should stick to that
principle.

> This concern is based on back-of-room conversations at XML Europe, where I
> found myself trying to bring some experienced knowledge engineers
> "back down
> off the ceiling", and into a more realistically appreciative frame of mind
> regarding Topic Maps, after some rash claims from the podium...

Topic maps can be successful if they are considered as hospitable, not if
they try
to impose a given view of the world.

Michel
Michel Biezunski, InfoLoom, Inc.
Tel +33 1 44 59 84 29 Cell +33 6 03 99 25 29
Email: mb@infoloom.com  Web: www.infoloom.com