Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: parallel development of syntax and concept models

[Steven R Newcomb <srn@techno.com> on Sun, 27 Aug 2000 11:46:30 -0500]

Thanks for explaining your point of view. I understand that the only
way for us to finish our work by the Dec. deadline is to work in
parallel. But, I was concern that the subgroups were not
understanding each others point of view. I certainly was not
understanding the interchange modeling subgroup's. So, I appreciate you
taking the time to express your way of thinking. I hate to continue
working relying only on my own opinions without considering others.

When you said:

"(1) UML models for the abstract expression of constraints on
    APIs to an information set (such as the information set
    of topic maps), and"

I don't think the purpose of the UML conceptual model is to express
constraints on an API. I think that the conceptual models are to
express the Platonic forms of topicmaps independent of OS, programming
language, or platform. I know that by definition that is impossible to
accomplish. But, at least that is the purpose. I think that is where
we disagree. Our views of the usefulness of the conceptual model is
very different.

Also, i think an object model is more abstract than a DTD. You can use a DTD
as a modeling language but it is too ambiguous to define a structure
by itself.

Best regards,

--
Luis J. Martinez
IT Consultant

Need EDA tools on a short term or peak load basis?
Take a free 7 day trial!