Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A Proposal (was Re: Knowledge management claims re XTM)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Patrick Stickler wrote:

> On 24 Aug, EXT Hans Holger Rath wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My 5 cent (of a Euro :^) about this topic:
> >
> > Bryan Thompson wrote:
> >> Yes, I agree.  However I feel we could address much of this
> >> continually re-emergent confusion if the XTM AG made specific
> >> recommendations concerning *how* the XTM (or the ISO standard)
> could
> >> be used, without modification to the specification, to encode
> >> knowledge modeling languages.
> >
> > I already proposed such an approach a year ago at GCA's
> Metastructures 99,
> > Montreal. The ISO WG call them TM templates. A template (or
> application profile
> > or schema) contains all ontology declarations, transitivity
> information,
> > type hierarchy information, explicit inference rules, and validation
> > constraints.
> >
> > Last week I presented the final results at GCA's Extreme Markup
> > Languages 2000, Montreal. The concept is based on PSIs (Public
> > Subject Identifiers) which have to be publicly registered by ISO or
> > OASIS or whoever. This registration is everything what is needed,
> > no standard has to be changed, but TM tools can refer to the PSIs
> and
> > support their semantic which is clearly defined together with the
> > registration. This method allows definiton of various
> > application dependent profiles (e.g. knowledge representation,
> > subject classification, and other use cases).
> >
> > My paper is in the Extreme ML proceedings and the appropriate
> > XTM WG should have access to it. If requested I can upload a
> > PDF to the egroups server.
> >
> > Having such technique at hand knowledge representation can be done
> > using TMs. Reading Sowa's book will convince you (he is talking
> about
> > conceptual graphs which could be expressed as TMs without any
> problems).
> >
> > Regards,
> > --Holger

> (A lurker emerges ;-)

(Another lurker emerges...)

Just popped up to mention another interesting piece by John Sowa,
recently circulated to the RDF Interest Group:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2000Jul/0000.html
	[excerpted:]
	   http://www.bestweb.net/~sowa/peirce/ontometa.htm

	"Ontology, Metadata, and Semiotics", and it addresses
	 issues of representing logic, ontology, and metalanguage about them
	 in various notations, including RDF and controlled natural languages.
	John Sowa

cheers,

Dan

Get Your Free PC World Newsletter Today!