Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] We are still being spammed!

Get Your Free PC World Newsletter Today!

Jack Park wrote:
[...]
> Give a look at http://www.quicktopic.com/
> At the moment, I don't see any evidence of marketing.  Rather, you get the
> posts by email, but you don't reply to them. Instead, you open your browser
> and reply at the web site.  I got the following header on an email from a
> post I made there:

> Please don't reply to this message using email!
> Instead, use your web browser to visit
> http://www.quicktopic.com/3/H/VxMu4GpuymAbzc8t8W
> to reply, post a new message, or stop further email.
>
> It might be worth looking at.

I'm sorry Sun is not able to provide this service. We're all behind a
firewall here and our network services folks aren't set up to provide
a public service. (I asked and was told this)

All we need is a running copy of majordomo and the HTML archiving program
(like those used at W3C, OASIS and a large variety of places) and we're
set. No advertising at all. If I had a server running at home I'd offer
it up, but obviously a more official (ie., backed-up and run by
professionals) site would be better. It's sad that almost everything
from linux to dog clipping list has their own service. It's not a large
draw on a server.

I'm more wondering why the promise we had on removing this garbage has
not been kept.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu