Subject: [xtm-wg] RE: XTM-UCS progress

Apply NOW!

Hi Ann,

I think of the forms basis as a means to obtain input from the wider
community. I certainly don't feel that forms or XML are necessary to
collect the data.

I do concur that we should move on here.  I believe that we should post a
closing call for the survey and, as you have kindly offered, move on.  I am
concerned that the examples we have may prove quite biased in terms of the
XTM community.

What are your feelings here?  Would you be interested in a closing call that
set
the final date as midnight Friday, September 1st, GMT?  Would you rather
begin
and take any new responses that arrive as you work?

-bryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Wrightson, Ann [mailto:Ann.Wrightson@sweetandmaxwell.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 4:40 AM
To: Bryan Thompson
Subject: XTM-UCS progress

Bryan...

I am getting really worried that the current survey-technology obsession in
UCS is taking over the time available to make good use of what usecase
information we have obtained. We got some responses - most v. brief, but
neverthless an interesting sample, & some which could be usefully elaborated
into full OMG-style usecases (much better use of time than any CGIs or
forms...). I wanted to start analysing what we had asap, hence my offer.
"Collation" - which can be done (in my experience in requirements analysis)
very effectively in a few hours with basic technology, i.e. paper printout,
highlighter pens and a keyboard (or as I do it, voice entry) - is now
becoming a technology-development exercise with forms etc being developed. I
think this is dangerously pointless. Unless XTM-UCS can get some coherent
conclusions from usecases feeding into the other XTM groups very soon,
XTM-UCS will be pointless.

I hope you agree...

Ann W.