Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] XTM-ISS Important XLink difference in DTDs

No blistered feet. No crowd. No travel. Intraware invites you to attend
a virtual tradeshow: Ensuring Scalable and Secure E-Business Systems.

Just some thoughts regarding

The concept of NameServer,

<!-- [Michel]: This is a shortcircuit for something we
     already provide in a more powerful way. Since
     everything in a topic map is a de facto a topic (an
     association can be seen as a topic occurrence),
     everything can be named using the very same constructs
     that we already have, with full power (several names,
     which can be scoped, etc., and with display names, sort
     names, etc.)  Applications and user interfaces have
     plenty of stuff to play with already. I propose to
     stick with what we have in the ISO spec, i.e. no names
     except for topics.-->

I think that it is provided for in an ambiguous and inconsistent fashion in
the standard.

The standard basically confuses typing with naming,

	if I have <occrl occrole="picture of graham" href="... />

	it says that this is the name or title

	if I have <occrl type="jpeg" href=".... />

	then the name is jpeg and this occ is also an instance of jpeg

	What I want to express clearly is that I have an occurrence with a name
'picture of graham' of type jpeg.

	<occrl type="jpeg" nameservice="picture of graham' href ... />

	The nameservice constructs was used as a consistent abstraction that could
be re-used across all the type/ role occurrences. It provides an abstraction
for name either defined by a topic or specificed as an mnemonic. In
modelling terms its about building a common abstraction.

	I've attached a jpeg illustrating this point.

<!-- [SRN] I agree with Michel.  It's simpler *and* it's
     more powerful to do it the same way as the ISO
     spec. -->

Its too simple, becomes overloaded and ambiguous.

<!-- [Michel] I disagree. Topics are the ONLY mechanism to
      use when expressing something "about" something else,
      be it a painting, a opera piece, or an association
      between topics. Statements about statements are
      already possible, and they can be expressed at any
      nesting level desired, not only two as proposed
      here. Associations should not have occurrences,
      because this breaks the topic map model. It seems that
      what you are expressing here is a model which has
      nothing to do with the one provided in ISO 13250.
-->

RDF has a very powerful mechanism for reified statements that is enabled
through the simplicity of the model. Topic maps self inconsistency prevents
us from 'doing' reified stataments in an sensible and easy way. In order to
define a reified statment it is necessary to create a topic for the
association. This is a hack becuase the structures do not support closure.

I don't think that the discussions needs to go onto inference rules there is
a more fundamental mis balance. And if we are to  achieve synergy with RDF
which we will do. Then this is a very important point. My guess is that the
conceptual model will show a structure of this form in order to achieve both
an organic model and synergy with RDF.

cheers

Graham