Subject: [xtm-wg] XTM-ISS Mergemaps and relationship to XML Include

Thousands of Great Jobs, One Great Location!
Austinatwork.com. Great Jobs, Great Life!

I was interested in reading the discussions about xtm:mergemaps at the top
of the latest XTM DTD draft
(http://www.egroups.com/files/xtm-wg/Interchange/tmdtd-00-09-25%2Etxt). I
wondered if the use of XML Include (http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude) had been
considered as the processing model for this construct. It is (as the URL
indicates) still in working draft stage at the moment, but what it allows
for is the merging (their term...unfortunately) of multiple XML infosets.

'mergemaps' is going to be a necessary construct (I would go so far as to
say that if it is not part of XTM, it will get added as proprietary
extensions to XTM) and that potentially XML Include provides the framework
for describing how that construct is resolved *prior to* any topic map
parsing. The potential here is for a construct which is implemented by the
parser - i.e. involves no extra effort on my behalf...a definite win in the
XML world.

Cheers,

Kal