Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] XTM-ISS Important XLink difference in DTDs

 Dale, Ronald,

I think there is some misunderstanding here...
At this point topic maps provide
an excellent way to describe metadata over metadata.
It is not intended to be a general purpose markup language!
But it is a perfect match for categorical indexing, concordance, etc.

You may argue (I am with you here) that a standard way
for expressing properties of resources in topic maps could be extremely
beneficial.(such as probability weights, percentage, prescription details,
etc.)
But should it be part of XTM specification or should it be a part of some
external standard?

And this is why I see "Topic Maps/RDF co-operation" so exciting.

However, there are ways to express qualifiers at the present state by means
of facets or by addressing (external or internal) information objects with
occurrence locators.

Cheers,

Nikita Ogievetsky
http://www.cogx.com
nogievet@cogx.com
(917)406-8734
Consultant in XML/XSLT/Xlink/TopicMaps

No blistered feet. No crowd. No travel. Intraware invites you to attend
a virtual tradeshow: Ensuring Scalable and Secure E-Business Systems.