Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: XTM-ISS Important XLink difference in DTDs

<dale>
I would like to second Graham's concern, or raise one of my own if  I
am not echoing his concern correctly. There is a feeling when reading
all the material on topic Maps that it is a great benefit that
everything is a topic, and on one level that is true. On another
level, though, if everything is a topic, but there are many different
flavors of topics, processing of topics will rightfully ignore their
topic-ness and focus on their flavors. Sometimes it is better to have
different entities for different purposes, even though they may *also*
have some part of their nature in common.
</dale>

I would like to express my practical experience that completely
follows Dale's ideas.
In Notion System it seemed "logical" to distinguish the following
types of entities which are structurally (implementation technically)
all, in terms of TM, topics:
	Topics: general contents entities
	Classes of topics: allowing a grouping of similar topics (e.g.
man)
	Superclasses of topics: allowing grouping of classes (e.g.
person)
	Associations: meaning and content bearing entities (e.g. is
born: to a place and with date and time)
	Languages: Because they play a particular role in specifying
the names of topics
	Language families: allowing grouping of languages
	Messages: General text based entities used in interface
localization
	Metadata: Used for maintenance aspects of the essential
information
This specialization is naturally grown from practical use and the need
to be able to execute a particular action on blocks of topics,
associations, etc.

===================
Ronald Poell
Consultant Knowledge Management
TNO-FEL
Oude Waalsdorperweg 63
P.O. Box 96864
NL-2509 JG The Hague
Netherlands

T: +31 70 374 02 00
F: +31 70 374 06 52
Email: poell@fel.tno.nl

Notion System: www.notionsystem.com
Email: rapoell@notionsystem.com

No blistered feet. No crowd. No travel. Intraware invites you to attend
a virtual tradeshow: Ensuring Scalable and Secure E-Business Systems.